Back to the PBBG List
Updated: 15 Apr 2019 03:12
Age of Ascent
Due to the fact that this game is still under development, this isn't a review as much as it is a big nudge. So while I can't honestly recommend it as a top ranked PBBG yet, I can recommend that you keep an eye on it and for that reason I'll keep it top ranked until I can give it a proper review and develop a better opinion. I've been watching the progress of Age of Ascent game for some time now. The last browser MMO that I hyped on, cancelled the browser aspect of their MMO so I've been a little reluctant to promote new games too soon. But since the developer has at least one successful title (Ellyriad) and have been around since 2009, I feel confident in promoting Age of Ascent.
Age of Ascent is a 3D browser based MMORPG developed and published by Illyriad Games, and indie game developer with headquarters in London. The game is set in space with players posting up within the cockpit of their own spaceship.
I could be wrong, but from what I can tell, this is the sleeper of the decade and while many MMO fans have been lining up for big titles like Star Citizen, Age of Ascent has been quietly working on a massive world of their own able to support massive battles of 50,000 concurrent users at once… in a browser. The game is touted as being free to play with no "pay to win" features and like all PBBG's that are promoted on this site, it is playable within your browser. But unlike many games found on this site, Age of Ascent uses web.gl technology which does not require a browser plugin.
Here are some of the features planned for the first incarnation of Age of Ascent.
- Real-time, epic, direct-piloting battles using our brand new cloud-based distributed MMO architecture that can support thousands of players in the same battle
- Global – everyone plays in the same universe
- No download or install: it runs in your browser without plugins
- Free-to-play without pay-to-win
- Multiple ship classes and modular ship loadouts
- The world map is derived from real world star catalogs
- A fully player-led economy from resource gathering to manufacturing and trading
- Exciting and rewarding galactic exploration
- Play solo or in groups – larger than you’ve ever seen before
- Player vs Environment (PvE) mission running and engage with Non-Player Character Faction AI
- Alliances and Clans as large or small as you wish, with sophisticated management and access tools
Age of Ascent is a portable MMORPG designed from the ground up to be cross-platform playable and like all games found on this site, Age of Ascent is playable in a browser.
The exact release date isn't yet clear. Development of the game began before 2014 and the game is slotted to launch 2016. During alpha, you can preview the game once a month for 3 minutes, but this is only for the dog fighting portion of the game.
Age of Ascent is a 3D game with a first-person perspective.